Thursday, July 18, 2013

Welcome to Phloem Here To There

Today's Plant Trivia:  mangos and poison ivy belong to the same plant family.
I am a biology teacher and a mom, and this is my first post on a blog of my own.  My daughter recently explained to me that mangos are in the same plant family as poison ivy (Anacardiaceae).  How did she learn this fact?  She learned it playing Fruit Ninja on her iPod.  I waffle about modern technology; how should I feel about my daughter and me wasting attention, time, and energy on mindless computer activities like Fruit Ninja?   In a world of so many detrimental temptations, I guess I will still try to value every opportunity to learn, even if that opportunity comes from time wasted with a cartoon fruit sensei.  This blog is one of those opportunities to learn: a place for me to post my daily musings on plants.  I would like to learn more about the plants that I see on my daily dog walk. I would also like to learn more about plant families and their characteristics.  Obviously the best way to learn about the plants around me would be to stop typing and step outside, but I think that we are all sometimes stuck in place for real or imagined reasons, and just like the Fruit Ninja game and my daughter, maybe we should grab every opportunity to learn, even if the opportunity arises from an unredeeming place.   Please feel free to post comments and to join me in this virtual adventure to learn more about plants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment